While reading a book today about life’s critical choices, I was reminded of Robert Frost’s words and immediately thought of our family’s decision to homeschool. It is the road less traveled and that has made all the difference for our family.
“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
Here is a picture of our first day homeschooling several years ago. I pulled my son out of public school March of his kindergarten year. I remember the feeling of freedom and joy to be out in the world learning together as part of their education.
Some ways it has made all the difference for our family includes:
- Family Bonds–My kids are best friends. We experience so much life together. While they do have a tiff every now and then, they generally really enjoy one another. I observe this same pattern with our homeschool family friends. You just don’t see a lot of bickering amongst siblings in our community.
- Love Affair with Books–One of my favorite things about homeschooling is having plenty of time for reading aloud. We travel on many book journeys together and engage in lots of conversation about what I read aloud. Additionally, we frequent a wide variety of libraries. The kids are dying to get to one to find more books to bring home for their reading pleasure. Each library has its own personality and unique book selection.
- Friendships–Our homeschool family friends are incredible people with shared values and vision for how we want to raise our kids. We have a blast doing life with them! I did not experience this same connection when we were in public school.
- Love of Learning–We are able to learn in a wide variety of environments and from many different people. Yes, I am their teacher for many subjects. However, we are also out learning from park rangers, museum docents, business owners, scientists and more! We learn from passionate parents in our co-op. We are not confined to one classroom and the same teacher daily. Additionally, I do not teach to a standardized test which can crush a love of learning.
- Customized Education–I am an entrepreneur for my children’s education. Nimbly, we tailor the curriculum and learning opportunities to their learning styles, passions and our family’s priorities.
How has homeschooling made all the difference for your family? Please click onto our Facebook page below and let us know. Your words may be encouragement for a family who is considering homeschooling or one wondering if they should stay the course.
Here are a few other links you may enjoy:
You can sign up to follow The Contemporary Homeschooler via email by clicking on the Follow button. Also, join our community on Facebook.